Thursday, October 29, 2009

Iconic Packaging

1) Packaging is an extremely important aspect in the marketing of a product. The packaging of a product can make or break a sale, for example if the product is intended to be classy and sophisticated yet comes in a plain and dated box, buyers will be hesitant. The packaging of iconic items, like Coca-Cola, is difficult because it needs to retain the original image while having new modern twists integrated into it. Packaging that has influenced my purchase is the bottle design of Fiji water. Most water bottles are round or cylindrical in some way, but Fiji water comes in a rectangular shaped container, which peaked my interest. After drinking the water I realized that it is shockingly, just water, and the packaging of the item had driven me to purchase it.

2) A product that has iconic packaging is the Big Mac from McDonald’s. Another product that has iconic packaging is Ramen Noodles, the color and design of their package gives buyers a sense or comfort and reliability on the product.

3) When I think about the usability issues of packaging, one prominent example comes to mind, the packaging of scissors. I had purchased a pair of siscorrs because mine could no longer be found, and when I went to open the scissors, they were heat wrapped. The only way to get into this package of scissors was to use another pair of scissors, or a knife, I had neither. This seems to me to be a major design flaw and should have been caught before the product went to market. When I think of good packaging design, I think of individual bottles of soda. Bottles are more usable than cans because bottles can travel with less likelihood of spilling. This seems to be good design because if a customer is looking to travel with the soda, the bottle is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment